Street Fighter 5 will get its long-awaited Arcade mode in early 2018, according to an Amazon leak.
A listing for Street Fighter 5: Arcade Edition includes a rundown of new features coming to the game, including an Arcade mode that will let players “choose from six different paths themed after classic Street Fighter games”. The listing mentions a January 16, 2018 release date.
The Amazon listing reveals a number of new features – although makes clear that these additions will come to original versions of the game for free:
- Arcade mode – choose from six different paths themed after classic Street Fighter games
- Gallery – unlock hundreds of illustrations as you play through arcade mode
- Extra battle – complete timed challenges to obtain exclusive costumes throughout 2018
- New v-triggers – each character will have two v-triggers, adding even more depth to the combat system
- New visuals – the user interface is being redesigned with new Color schemes, revised menus and exciting pre-and-post-fight effects
The listing blurb also mentions that players of the original version and the Arcade Edition, across PS4 and PC will be part of the same online player pool.
As with all listing leaks, this should be taken with a pinch of salt, but the appearance of multiple listings for the Arcade Edition lends credence to the information.
Despite being a more-than-competent fighting game, Street Fighter 5’s been dogged by criticism saying that it lacks enough content – it only added a story mode last year, with producer Yoshinori Ono putting that down to the inspiration of Mortal Kombat’s 2011 reboot.